Just because we don't agree doesn't mean either one of us is right or wrong.
If we try your method first and it fails, then it's time to try a different method.
Education the natural process of life.
Always strive to get an education and never rely on what others consider to be an acceptable education for any aspect of your life.
A herb is a plant that is valued for flavor, scent, or other qualities.
Herbs are used in cooking, as medicines, and for spiritual purposes.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Reworking of the Computers

The past few days I have been reworking a few computers in the house, first one was for my 14 year old daughter. She has been using the Toshiba laptop I received as pay for work I did. Unfortunately she has also abused it just slightly, by getting soda and food in the keyboard. This has disabled the down button on it. I have had Ubuntu loaded on it, but the last upgrade didn't work so well. Then it was loaded with PCLinux Gnome Edition, that also didn't work well after the last upgrade. After using a live cd and copying her music files and documents to flash drives, I reloaded it with Linux Mint 10, updated the software, downloaded the additional software she wanted, set-up her Chromium and Firefox browsers with the add-ons. She is now good to go for a while I hope. The one thing about it is I have Linux Mint 10 on my desktop so it's not going to be difficult for her to use, since she has been using it while her laptop was down this week.

The second one I did was a little tweaking of my recycled Dell 2400 series desktop. Mainly added software, changed the desktop background re-arranged the look on it. I backed-up my files. This desktop has 2 hard drives on it. 1 is loaded with Linux Mint 9 XFCE  Edition, the 2nd is Linux Mint 10 Main Edition with XFCE desktop environment installed. I haven't gotten around to hacking Seamonkey or Firefox to speed them up yet, hopefully that will get done today. I'll have to do this 3-4 times before it's said and done. My Dell desktops.

LM9 XFCE on Dell 2400

LM10 w/XFCE on Dell 2400





The third is a  rescued Gateway. I'm using it at this time to write my blog, it is set-up basically the same as my Dell. 2 hard drives and 2 different versions of Linux Mint both with the XFCE desktop environment. This computer hasn't been backed-up since I put it back together. My daughter has been using the Chromium browser on the LM 10 Edition of this desktop. I backed-up this computer, upgraded the LM9 software plus changed the background, re-organized the desktop. My Gateway desktops.


LM10 with XFCE



LM9 XFCE Edition


I did this so that I can start testing another version or 2 of Linux. I'm thinking of adding a 3rd hard drive to the Gateway.

1 comment:

  1. Nice information presented in the post, thanks for sharing such a great post.
    microsoft frontpage 2003

    ReplyDelete