Just because we don't agree doesn't mean either one of us is right or wrong.
If we try your method first and it fails, then it's time to try a different method.
Education the natural process of life.
Always strive to get an education and never rely on what others consider to be an acceptable education for any aspect of your life.
A herb is a plant that is valued for flavor, scent, or other qualities.
Herbs are used in cooking, as medicines, and for spiritual purposes.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Another Rescue and Recycle

Well the other day I rescued a couple of computers from being trashed out. I ended up with the Dell 2400 which I am presently writing this blog on. It's replacing the Enterprise server that I recycled last. BTW, there's nothing wrong with the server it still works but it doesn't have the speed like this one. The other is a Compaq I couldn't get it to run, I suspect the motherboard is shot. I was able to use the dvd rw from it. I put it in this Dell.

Here's the screenshot of it. Yes, I like steampunk themed backgrounds. My daughter really liked this one. It's steampunked medieval Naval Air warcraft.


As always I install Linux on my recycles, my preferred distribution is Linux Mint. This is Mint 9 XFCE,  it has long term support until 2013 and has became a favorite of mine. I did the install last night with whatever upgrades that were available. This morning I started adding all my preferred software, Seamonkey Internet suite by Mozilla, rekong a KDE web browser, Konqueror another KDE web browser plus file manager, VLC media player, Chromium Browser, Picasa 3 for my pictures and a few other programs.
After the install it was time to set my browsers up, I have different browser for different persona's. Seamonkey is my preferred it's the one I use for my rants and raves here and on Facebook, and the mail/news client is awesome.
My Firefox web browser is for my family oriented Facebook, while rekonq is used for my independent contracting service. 
Plus I also installed a preloaded hard-drive that has Mint 10 on it, for a dual boot system. This HDD included my favorite XFCE desktop environment and was in my Enterprise server. I did this so I had a copy of my saved pictures and files to access.

I tried to get my wife to take this one, she's been complaining about how slow hers is. Ste in her ways I guess. The most difficult part of recycling is deciding what I am going to do with one when I'm done. All my recycles are older computers that the ram max out at 2 gig or lower.

No comments:

Post a Comment